Sunday, March 17, 2013

Japanese Four-lined Snake, or Japanese Striped Snake

Was inspecting my garden one day when I saw this snake creeping out...
It moved very slowly...
So slow that I had more than enough time to go inside the house to get my camera...
The Japanese Four-lined Ratsnake, or Japanese Striped Snake (shimahebi) is native to Japan and is non-poisonous. 
It supposedly feeds on frogs, lizards, insects, rodents, and even small birds and their eggs.
This one was a little over one meter...
Looking at its slightly bulging stomach area, I imagined it must have swallowed a mole as we do have moles frequently digging in our garden...
That afternoon, my missus saw a Japanese black kite perched on one of our wood shacks, clearly eating a snake, she said...
And I stumbled upon this half-eaten specimen near that same spot the next morning...

First time for me to see a happening in our garden....

23 comments:

  1. The cycle of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor snake! Much as they give me the creeps, but seeing the way it's precious life ended, is a sad thing. Mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an eat-or-die world out there...

      Delete
  3. Snakes are so eerie to watch but then, can it be the same snake?

    O gosh... even the smallest I ever saw, I am scared of their nature..
    I always thought Japan, did not have snakes as due to four seasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeap, the same snake it was... there are actually many species of snakes in Japan...

      Delete
  4. I am afraid of snakes but still feel badly for the one in the second photo, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most people feel scary to snakes but some of them bring happiness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes do bring happiness to a certain extent... for one, they help to control the rat population...

      Delete
  6. Your garden is great wildlife viewing area, with everyone finding good food to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, the garden is quite a paradise for wildlife... apparently with a food chain well incorporated...

      Delete
  7. Oh snakes have predator too I see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely... the kites have really good eyes for these things...

      Delete
  8. This is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes..I wouldn't like to see snake in my garden or around my home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see them often in our property...

      Delete
  10. You did a great job of documenting the circle of life in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the kite was savouring its fresh meal of snake sashimi! A living example of the predator-prey food cycle in Nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about the sashimi meal... and not only the meat but most likely the bones as well...

      Delete
  12. Actually, the kite did come back later to finish the food...

    ReplyDelete